One of the best moves a buyer can make when purchasing a log home is to hire an experienced log home inspector. Log homes are truly unique structures. There are many different methods used for constructing log homes, and many special conditions and issues that can arise from these types of structures. Without log home inspections from a certified, experienced log home inspector, buyers could watch the home of their dreams turn into a nightmare down the road.
If you are anticipating the sale of your log home, the services of a log home inspector can help identify issues that can affect the sale of the home, allowing you to get your log home in tip-top shape for the best price and an easy transaction.
If you are a buyer, or a Realtor with clients who are depending on you to find the best log home for them, a log home inspector can give the assurance that the homes you are looking at are properly maintained and without any major issues that could prove costly in the future. Log homes and cabins tend to have unique problems and it takes an inspector with specific expertise in these types of structures to recognize them.
Some of the things log home inspections should include are:
- Settling: One of the major concerns to watch for in a log structure is settling, which causes the loss of wall height over time.
- Rotting wood: Logs can look fine to the untrained eye, but actually be rotting from the inside out.
- Improper sun protection: Not all stains are the same. Stains with special UV protection must be used on log cabins to protect them from sun damage.
- Protection from moisture: Things like roof overhang, flashing of windows and decks, placement of landscaping, and more can have a huge effect on the condition of logs.
- Improper maintenance: Chinking, crack repair, regular staining and sealing are all important for the life of a log home. An experienced inspector is able to recognize if the home has been maintained properly and make the right recommendations for anything overlooked.
Traditional inspectors have not been trained to look for these things and often miss them entirely, setting up the buyer for costly fixes and massive inconveniences for repair and restoration down the road.
Whether you are a Realtor, buyer, or seller, taking the step to hire a certified, experienced log home inspector will protect the interest of everyone and ensure that any future sales are a positive experience for all. Here at Prolog Restorations, we offer professional log home inspections services that give you or your client the benefit of our unmatched wealth of knowledge and experience for every log home inspection we perform. We are the go-to inspection, maintenance and restoration professionals for log home owners throughout California and would be glad to discuss our services with you. You can email our inspector, Jonathan Cassaday, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or call our offices at 877-477-6564.